Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pinewood Derby...Lady Luck is on our side!!!

The competition. Kadyn's car second from right.


Painting very carefully!
With a little help from Kam
Good Job Kadyn!!!
He did help earn the trophy, kinda! (Does buggin count?)

The Winning Car!



Last night was the boy scouts Pinewood Derby. Of course we didn't know that it was on Monday night. Tim thought it was Wednesday night and that we had a couple of days to work on the car. If you read my earlier post, you know that boy scouts has not been one of our favorite programs. Also, at the Blue and Gold banquet, we flopped a cake and had to scramble last minute to get one down. Then, once Kadyn saw all of the other amazing cakes, he was embarrassed. So, needless to say, we really had to try and make up for it this time.


Tim has been researching online all kinds of different tips in putting your car together, etc. Well, Tim calls about 10:00 and I ask him, "are you sure that this derby isn't tonight?" He said he didn't think so. I ask again if he was sure. He said, why don't you call the leaders wife and find out for sure. Guess what???!?!? It was last night. So, I began scrambling around. The car had pretty much been completed minus the paint job. Tim told me that Kadyn wanted the car red and to have flames on it. So, I look up some pics on the internet and see some sample designs. I spent my entire day yesterday drawing a flame pattern on his car so that he could paint as soon as he got home from school. When Kadyn hit the door, we began painting like crazy. Luckily the wind was blowing 90 MPH yesterday, so that aided in drying the paint quickly. The car looked pretty awesome. Tim got home with the clear coat to spray on it. Guess what! The clear coat caused the paint to all run together. We were able to take a black sharpie and trace the flame pattern again. Not too bad. Then, to put the grafite on the wheels...it got all over the paint and smudged everything again. Kadyn still thought it was the most awesome car ever.


I had to go to work at the GAP so I didn't get to go. The weigh in began at 6:00. I had to make a trip to the post office before we began everything to make sure that the car was under 5 ozs. Kadyn's car weighed in just 1 gram, that's right 1 gram under 5 ozs. Sheeze, that was close. I guess the first few races were pretty close. Kadyn's car was winning. The next race, he won just by a hair. Tim said after that, it really kicked into gear (must of been all that grafite) and it smoked everyone. He won the entire race!!! Luck was definitely on our side! He was so excited! He had to call me at work and tell me all about it. When I got home last night he was still awake...so excited he couldn't sleep! So, here are the pics...

2 comments:

kcaimee said...

CONGRATULATIONS on rocking the derby!! Wish I could have been there to see it...

Unknown said...

Brandi, Tim, Kadyn and Kamden,

I just found that you have a link to our website on your blog! Thank you so much for calling us "Awesome Photography!" Anytime you happen to be in Nashville call us. There is a complimentary portrait session with your name on it.

Thanks So Much,
Tom Uchida